Domestic abuse

Get help – if you’re in immediate danger

Call 999. If you can’t speak and do not answer the questions asked, press 55 when prompted and your call will be transferred to the police.

Pressing 55 only works on mobiles and doesn’t allow the police to track your location so, at some point, you will need to be able to say your address. If you don’t press 55 your call will be ended.

Get help – you are not alone

Our Empower team exists to ensure that you know you are not alone and that support is available. Our service is currently for people living in Gateshead. If you are not from the Gateshead area, please refer to the other sections on the page.

Please include your contact details when you call or email us, so we can call you back. If you phone outside of our opening hours (9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday) please leave a message and we will be in touch as quickly as possible.

Phone: 0191 477 3535

We provide tailored 1-2-1 support around the practical and emotional impact of domestic abuse. This could include:
– A safe space to talk about your experiences
– Safety planning to help manage and reduce risk
– Support in accessing housing and legal advice
– Signposting to services to support recovery, including financial support and employability

We also provide our Empower group course to support women in understanding and processing the impact of domestic abuse, growing their confidence and moving towards recovery and freedom from abuse. This is a referral-only service.

We are not a crisis service, so please use the other contact details on this page if you’re in need of urgent or immediate help.

Get help – 24/7 support

The charity Refuge offer a 24-hour helpline 0808 200 0247 and an online chat if you can’t or would prefer not to talk on the phone. Refuge’s online chat can be accessed here

Your local Domestic Abuse Team can also provide immediate support and guidance. Here are the contacts for the areas where we work:

Gateshead 0191 433 333
Sunderland 0800 066 5555
Southwark 07944 634946

Reporting a crime

Call 999 if you are in immediate danger.

Call 101 to report a non-urgent crime.


Managing your money

Finding work